Friday, August 30, 2013

Multi-Pocket Folder

I needed a folder that had many pockets so I could store all the papers from all my subjects in one place.  I found one of these multi-pocket folder at Staples, but it cost more than what I wanted to pay for it.  Instead, I came home and made my own from package tape and brown paper bags.

I first made the outside folder that has two pockets and an extra-wide spine to hold the other pockets.  On the spine, I drew lines that indicated the location where I would attach each sheet.  They were evenly spaced out.  The front cover is 24 cm by 29 cm with a 4 cm spine in the middle and 10 cm tall pockets.


I made the outside folder a little larger so I could fold over the edges and make then even stronger to resist wear and tear.  To finish, I taped the edges with package tape.

Folded edges along the top and the sides, before tape
Each sheet that I attached on the inside had two pockets, one on the front and one on the back.  To create the folder, I cut a piece of brown paper bag 80 cm by 40 cm and folded it vertically three times, once in half, and two times 11 cm from the bottom to create the pockets.  I taped the edges again and taped it to the outside folder with the extended spine.

A finished folder
Attached
I made three more of these folders that attached on in the inside.

Two more folders
To attach the second, third, and fourth folder, I taped them, as I did with the first one.  However, I also made sure the piece of tape in between two folders secured the back of the previous folder and the front of the current folder.

One tape shared in between two folders
 After attaching the fourth folder, I was done!

Finished!
My multi-pocket folder has 10 pockets in total, and it took 5 brown paper bags and more than 3 hours to complete.  I can't wait to use it in school!

5 comments:

  1. After reading how long it took you to make it I'm thinking I would have gone and bought one instead (ie I'm lazy) but I really really like your ingenuity and resourcefulness!! Go you and go recycling! Are you planning to make one for each class you're in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Since there are so many pockets, I don't think I need one for every class I'm taking but I am totally going to make my own folders from now on!

      Delete
    2. Take it a step further and decorate them!

      I have stickers and paint you can borrow :-)

      Delete
    3. Haha awesome! I was thinking of decorating the cover, but I can't think of a design right now!

      Delete
    4. There's certainly enough pages in case you don't like one of your designs lol. I would start on the inside, just start drawing lines and then color them in 6th grade style! Or for extra durability you could get some of that funky duct tape they sell everywhere and cover some of the pages in it. Have fun!

      Delete

Please leave a comment!