Friday, August 29, 2014

Redesigned Pencil Case

Before I left for school, I decided to update my pencil case.  Last time I did it was a year ago, when I exchanged the old, worn-out duct tape with new duct tape and kept the same design.  This year, however, I wanted to change it, as I rarely used the big pocket on the right side, and I also recently acquired some highlighters that I wanted to store in the pencil case.

After a year of use
Instead of only using white duct tape, I added some color by including green duct tape in my new design.  In terms of redesigning the case, I planned beforehand that there would be another row of pencil slots (like on the left side) on the right side to replace the pocket.

Duck Brand has changed its packaging...
As I was taking off the old duct tape, I noticed that the tape was leaving some residue.  I had never encountered that before, but the black duct tape underneath is a few years old and is not as smooth as new duct tape is.

Not a fan of tape residue on anything
The process for making the pencil slots was the same as before, which includes folding two long duct tape strips in half so the sticky sides are not showing anymore.

Green strips for the first side
Prepared strips of duct tape hanging off the table, ready for use

First side finished!
This time, I only made seven pencil slots on one side, as opposed to nine, in order to have room to fit a writing utensil in between slots.

Starting on the other side, I positioned the writing utensils so when the pencil case is folded, they were not on top of the pen on the other side.  It created somewhat of a staggered appearance.

Highlighters used as a guideline for making the slots
Second side finished!
I did not change anything on the inside of the pencil case; I left it as it is.  The current arrangement worked well for me, and continues to.

After finishing, I closed the pencil case to see if everything lined up, and it looked beautiful!  I can now store up to 14 writing instruments, though I probably will not need that many.

Kind of looks like a zipper, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!