Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Nantucket "Rope" Bracelet

With red and black duct tape yarn, I made a 4-string bracelet.  The yarn is very thick, so I only cut a small length of the yarn, about 16 inches per string.  I used two strings of black and two strings of red.  While I would prefer other colors, like dark blue and white, the red and black were the best colors available to me.

To begin, I used a piece of duct tape to keep the strings together and then taped them to the table.  The piece of duct tape ended up being used to tape the two ends together.

The strings must be secure underneath the tape
Due to the nature of the duct tape, the yarn is not that easy to tighten as one can do with regular string, so I had to braid near the top instead of braiding in the middle of the strings and then pulling it tight.

After a few stitches
The yarn must be even throughout, or the bracelet will turn out crooked and have differing degrees of tightness.  My yarn was not as even as I would have liked it, so the bracelet, even after only a few stitches, the bracelet was already turning out crooked.

I stopped when the bracelet fit snugly against my wrist, and I cut the remaining yarn off the end, leaving about half an inch of un-braided yarn to join the two ends together.

Extra yarn on the left side
I unstuck the tape from the table, keeping the yarn on the duct tape.  Next, I joined the two ends on the duct tape and then wrapped the ends of the tape around the bracelet.

The final product
The final bracelet is in the style of a Nantucket rope bracelet, a stylish item that can be worn everyday.  Next time, I will make it with white and/or navy colors, as it will match with more items than a red and black bracelet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!