Sunday, July 21, 2013

Yarn iPhone Case: Making the Base

Inspired by my iPhone screen cover, I decided to make an iPhone case.  The version that I have to make a case for is the iPhone 4S, so if one has an iPhone 5 or some later version if one is reading this in the future, the measurements and methods may need to be tweaked a little.  This first part should remain the same regardless of what version the iPhone is.  The first step is to knit a rectangle up until the bottom of the camera area.  It does not matter what pattern the rectangle is, as long as it is the same wideness of the iPhone.  For my case, I used a simple knitting pattern, and with the size of my needles (7) and yarn I used, I used 14 stitches per row.

When my rectangle got to the height where it started to reach the camera region, I stopped knitting 5 stitches from the end to create a hole for the camera.

Starting to make camera hole
With the 5 stitches left, I cast each of them off with a crochet hook.  I left the last loop with the crochet hook still in it to hold it in place.

Beginning to cast off another stitch
Stitch cast off
Crochet hook in place
With the crochet hook keeping the stitch from coming loose, I knit with the 9 stitches I did not already cast off.  I knit a few rows until the height was equal to the height of the iPhone 4S.  When I cast off, I made sure that the last stitch I cast off was the one closest to the space I made for the camera.

Do not cast off if your stitches look like this!
After I cast off, I replaced the knitting needle with a crochet hook.

Use a crochet hook from here until the end
I made a few chain stitches until the length of the chain matched the length of the five stitches I cast off.

Chain made
To connect the chain I made with the bottom of the hole for the camera, I used a double crochet stitch to create a rough right angle with the chain.

Double stitch
The double crochet stitch was not enough to reach the stitches below, so I made a single crochet stitch and connected it with the stitch the crochet hook was holding below.  With this, I removed the second crochet hook, and the base of the yarn iPhone case was done!

Camera space completed
If the camera hole is a little big for the iPhone, as it was for me, just make single crochet stitches lining the inside of the space until the space is just right.

To see how to finish the case, go to the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!