Thursday, July 18, 2013

Adding a Zipper

My weaved pencil case had loops and hooks to keep it closed.  I did not like this design, as it was aesthetically unappealing, and it was a little hard to get it closed every time.  I decided to attach a zipper to my pouch instead.

I cut the side walls a little bit so that the tops did not touch the top of the case itself.  This is not a necessary step; it only makes it easier to attach the zipper later on.

Side walls are shorter
When I bought the zipper, the package came with instructions on how to attach a zipper to clothes with an iron or a needle.  I promptly disregarded these instructions and threw them out, as they did not apply at all to attaching it to duct tape.  In order to attach the zipper to duct tape, the zipper first needs to have "handles" made from duct tape that make it easier to attach to the sides of the pencil case.  To make the "handles", I placed a piece of duct tape underneath the zipper.  The edge of the tape paralleled the zipper but did not touch it.

Length of the tape needs to match the length of the zipper
I folded the piece of tape over in half onto the other side to create the first "handle."  I repeated the process on the other side of the zipper to create the two "handles."
Folded piece of duct tape
Both "handles" added
To attach the zipper to the case, I split a piece of duct tape in half to create two long, thin strips.

Length of the tape needs to match the length of the case
I added one of the strips to the "handles" of the zipper, placing only half of the sticky side on the "handle."  I placed the zipper along the edge of the case in the inside and pressed down on the tape, securing it into place.

Make sure the zipper is not upside-down!
I repeated the process on the other side, but I undid the zipper first to separate the already attached side from the side I was about to attach.  Not only did this make the entire process easier, but I also was able to see where I placed the tape inside.

With the zipper completely attached, I thought I was done.  However, the zipper, because of the added duct tape "handles", was really wide and would flatten, exposing some sticky side of the tape.

Not done yet!
To fix this problem, I cut another strip of duct tape in half to make two long, thin strips.  I placed the case flat on the table and placed a strip of duct tape onto the edge of the case and onto the zipper.  By doing this, I eliminated the little crevice between the the zipper and wall.  I taped the other side up as well.

Problem solved!
With zipper completely attached, I tested it out.  I was very happy with the results.  The zipper is easy to use and looks better than the loops and hooks I had implemented before.

Tape the ends of the zipper in
To finish the case, all I had to do was tape the ends of the zipper in.  The zipper itself is only nine inches, a perfect length for the case, but the cloth ends hung out over the edge, as seen in the pictures.  Once I tape the ends in, the case looked awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!