Monday, July 15, 2013

All-Purpose Pouch/Pencil Case/Clutch

Using the weaved square, I made a simple pencil case that can be used as a pouch, container, clutch, or anything.  The case consists of the square folded in half, side walls to keep the contents from falling out, and two fasteners to keep it closed.

The side walls of the case are easy to make.  I made two rectangles that were a little less than half of the length of the side of the square.   Their width is around 1.5 times the width of a roll of duct tape.

The length of the sides cannot be more than half of the length of the side of the square
Two completed side walls
Before I connected the side walls to the square base, I folded them in half length-wise.  To connect the walls, I lined up the corners and then taped the side to the base.  I opened the flap and taped the other side to eliminate the stickiness showing.  I repeated the process with the other wall.
Connected to the base
Some sticky side is showing
Both side walls attached
The process for joining the side walls to the other side of the base is the same, but it is a little harder to tape the inside.  Thinking ahead, I attached pieces of tape to the not-yet-attached side of the walls.

Tape is underneath the side walls
I folded the side walls in half and had the sticky side of the tape showing so when I folded the base over, they would line up and stick together.  I did that for one side and then repeated the process for the other.

One side attached
Again, some of the sticky side of the tape was showing, so I taped it over in the same manner as I attached the side walls before.

Don't let that stickiness show!
The case is very spacious, but it does not stay closed on its own.  To keep it closed, I made two fasteners.  They consist of two loops and two "hooks".  The "hooks" are not really hooks but small duct tape balls taped to the case.

Case wide open
To make the hooks, I cut two pieces of duct tape and rolled them up.  I taped the ends to the case, each about 2.5 inches from the end.

Loops attached
To make the small duct tape balls, I crumpled up small pieces of duct tape and taped a long strip across each one.  The ends of the long strip keep the ball fastened on the case.  The pencil case is finished!

Final product
For instructions on adding a zipper instead, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!