Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Making a Clasp on Bracelets

Some bracelets just need a clasp in order to take it on and off.  The duct tape bracelets that I make generally do not have a clasp because they are a bit difficult to make and are not easy to unclasp.  However, I have devised a way to make a clasp out of duct tape to replace any broken clasps or to add one to a duct tape bracelet.

To show how to make a clasp, I will use a bracelet called a two-chain bracelet as an example.  A two-chain bracelet is essentially two loops (or chains) connected together.  To make the two loops, I cut two pieces of duct tape that were the length of my wrist, and I rolled them up.

Rolled pieces of duct tape
To make the clasp, I took one of the rolls and folded it in half.  I made a circle with the roll by wrapping the same piece of duct tape around both ends.

One chain done
For the other roll, I wrapped one end with the same color duct tape I used to connect the two ends of the first chain.  On the other end, I needed a keeper, like the one I made for a watch.  However, I made it with a slightly different process.  I first cut a section of the duct tape and folded it over.


I then trimmed the piece of duct tape so the height matched the height of the piece of duct tape folded over.


I attached the strip to the other end of the rolled up duct tape.


To finish the bracelet, I looped the two chains together and then tied a piece of thin duct tape around the two strands of the second chain so that when the bracelet was unclasped, it did not fall apart.

Finished!
The clasp works really well and looks stylish, especially with the silver duct tape, which, at a very quick glance, looks like real silver.
On human

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!