Monday, July 8, 2013

Coin Organizer for Wallet

One of the biggest problems that I have with a duct tape wallet is that the coins, when placed in the same pocket as the dollar bills, bunch together in one corner and create a huge bump.  In one of my previous wallets, I sought to solve this problem by creating a separate pocket for the coins on the right side of the wallet.  The opening was towards the spine of the wallet to prevent any coins from falling out of the wallet, but this only made getting the coins out that much harder.

My first attempt at solving the coin problem
When my friend Cora asked me to make her a wallet, it gave me an opportunity to try and solve the coin problem again.  This time, I decided to make a separate pocket for each type of coin.  I grouped the pennies and the dimes together because they were about the same size, and the nickels and quarters got their own pocket.  I then made three strips of duct tape that each had a height about the diameter of each type of coin.

Each coin has its own particular diameter
I then placed each strip on another piece of duct tape that was longer and taller than the strip so it could stick to the base of the wallet.

Each strip looked like this before it was attached to the wallet
Afterwards, each pocket was added to the wallet.  I tried to keep some space between the bottom of one pocket and the opening of the one below it so it would be easier to take the coins out.

The final wallet with card slots on one side and coin pockets on the other
The advantage of this coin arrangement in a wallet is that it is easy to find exact change.  One does not need to look through his or her entire collection of coins in the wallet, but instead just pull the dimes and pennies from the first pocket, take out nickels from the second, and retrieve quarters from the third. The wallet looks pretty cool too, with the alternating colors of teal and black.

With coins added
The one worry I have with this type of coin organizer is that the pennies and the dimes will fall out of the top if the wallet is held upside down.  However, upon testing, the coins only fell out if I banged the wallet against the table, which I doubt would happen in a pocket or purse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!