Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Flat Yarn for Weaving

I wanted to make a small zipper pencil case out of weaving duct tape strands for the upcoming school year.  To start, I made many flat strips of duct tape in the colors and pattern I wanted.  I knew that the basic premise for the case would be folding a square of duct tape in half, so I used used a rectangular piece of paper to make a square as a basis for my measurements.

I based my measurements off of the diagonal of the square and then moved outward from there.  The piece of duct tape below is about the length of the diagonal. To first make the flat strip, I folded over a portion of the tape.

Before the strip is completed
After the initial portion is folded over, I then folded that piece over until no more of the sticky side showed.

A finished flat piece of duct tape yarn

Each strip of flat yarn should be about the same height.  I always used the first piece as a comparison for height.

Make sure all pieces are around the same height
I made more and more strips of flat yarn until the entire square was covered.  The alternating colors of red and chrome actually created a nice effect that I did not expect.

Red and chrome duct tape
Since weaving, at the most basic level, requires two strings crossing over each other, I made another set of flat yarn for weaving.  This time, I only used black duct tape to neutralize the brighter colors of red and chrome, which is really shiny.

Entirely black duct tape
Weaving two strips together should not be too hard, and I hope it will turn out well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!