Sunday, July 21, 2013

Yarn iPhone Case: Finishing

After making the iPhone case base, I made the walls of the case, which is the last part of the case.  For the case I made, I included holes for inserting the headphones at the top and the charger area on the bottom.  One can also include holes for the volume controls on the side and the sleep button on the top, but those buttons are easy to press through the yarn, so I did not include gaps in the wall for those buttons.

Making the walls of the case is essentially making a border around the rectangle.  I used single crochet stitches around the border until I reached the spot where I wanted to include a gap for the headphones or the charger.  Depending on what way one goes around the rectangle, one will encounter either the headphones area or the charger area first.  For me, I encountered the headphone area first, but I used the same methods for the space for the charger.

To make the gap for the headphones, I crocheted the border until I reached the area for the headphones.  Then, I made 3 chain stitches in place of the single crochet stitches.

Chain stitches
The length of 3 chain stitches was enough for the headphones, and I connected the chain stitches to the rectangle by making a single crochet stitch.

Single crochet stitch
When I reached the place to insert the charger of the iPhone, I repeated the same process as for making a gap in the border for the headphones.

One border around the rectangle was not enough to keep the case on the iPhone, so I went around the border again.  This time, because I wanted the border to curl slightly inward, I made sure I crocheted with the inside of the case facing towards me.  It does not matter which way the first border was crocheted.

One time around
After I made the second border, I went around again, but not with single crochet stitches.  I just made a second chain around the second border to make it tighter.  I used this chain to tighten the corners by skipping a few stitches around the corner area to create a box shape.
Finished!
Back of case
I put the case on the iPhone, and it fit perfectly!  It was not loose at all, but I would have preferred for it to be a little smaller so it could stretch over the iPhone and be even more secure on the phone.
With iPhone
Perfect size gap for the camera
The yarn iPhone case is light, protective, and can be personalized any which way one wants.  The case will definitely look better with different colors and crazy designs and patterns!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!