Sunday, July 28, 2013

Fun with Calculus: Modeling Volume of Solids with Known Cross Sections (Part 2)

Read Fun with Calculus: Modeling Volume of Solids with Known Cross Sections (Part 1) before reading Part 2.

To attach each cross section I made, I used the extra yarn at one end to weave through the base.  I did not tie any knots; I just weaved the yarn through many times.

The first square 
Attached 
More cross sections attached
As the squares got bigger, the extra yarn at the end was not long enough.  I did not think ahead when I was making the squares that I would be using the ends of the yarn to attach them to the base, so I needed to extend the yarn.  I tied more yarn to the end and proceeded to weave through the yarn.

Tied with a simple knot
About halfway done
When I finished attaching all of the squares, they were a little floppy and were not straight.


To solve this problem, I weaved through the top corners of each square to attach them together and hold them in an upright position.

Corners attached
The completed "solid" looks pretty cool when examined from different angles.  It is definitely a great visual if one is learning about how to solve for the volume of solids with known cross sections.
View from the top

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!