Friday, July 19, 2013

Yarn iPhone Screen Cover

Have you ever put your iPhone in your purse, bag, or backpack and when you take it back out, the screen is all scratched up?  The plastic case covering the back does not prevent any scratches, but I have made a simple iPhone screen cover to fix this problem.  While it is a little bulky, it protects the screen and is easy to use; it slips on right over the case.

I knitted a yarn rectangle whose width was a little wider than the iPhone and whose length was a little taller than the iPhone.  I made each stitch really tight.

The dimensions I used were 5.5" x 3.25"
The rectangle is flat, which by itself, will not stay on an iPhone.  To make the walls and create some depth to it, I crocheted a border around the edge of the rectangle.  The border was easy to make along the edges of the rectangle; all I did was a single crochet stitch along it.  However, once I got to the corners, I needed to fold the fabric to add dimension.

Stop a little before the corner
I did not crochet all the way to the corner.  Instead, I stopped a few stitches before the end and made the next stitch a few stitches away from the beginning of the next edge.  I made this stitch tight.

Use your needle to make a right triangle with the corner
Once I was finished making a border around the edges, I needed to connect the corners with the border.  The corners were rather unsightly.

Corners are sticking out
I used the hook I still had from crocheting the border to connect the corners and the border with basic loops.  I stuck the needle through the top of the corner, made a loop, pulled the needle back, and pulled the loop through the first loop, leaving one loop left again.  I repeated this process again to make another half-stitch connecting the same corner to the border.

In the process of connecting the corners
One corner connected
There was still some extra yarn from the knitting process on the other half of the case, so I used that yarn to connect the corners and the border on that side.  I created a loop with the yarn and repeated the same process as before.  For the other corner to the left, I weaved the yarn through to the other side since the yarn was not connected to the yarn ball and was easy to weave.

Another corner connected
Three corners connected
To finish the last corner, I returned to the side where I had finished the first corner.  I cut the string to an appropriate length, weaved it over to the other side, and connect the corner to the border.

Last corner about to be attached
Four corners finished!
After I finished attaching all the corners, I weaved in the ends of the yarn that were left on the case and cut the remaining ends.  I tried the case on the iPhone but it was a little big, and the edges did not reach over the sides of the iPhone, not allowing it to stay on.  To fix this problem, I crocheted another border on top of the already existing border.  After doing this, the case fit perfectly on the iPhone.

I crocheted around the corner two more times
On the iPhone
To make the cover even better, I would suggest starting with an even smaller rectangle, as this current iPhone screen cover is a little loose.  Still, this cover does an awesome job of protecting the iPhone screen in a bag, backpack, or purse.  The cover itself is flexible and can be stored in any position, not taking up a lot space in a bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!