Sunday, July 7, 2013

Pencil Case

While the first thing I made out of duct tape was a wallet in the fifth grade, I am most proud of my pencil case I made two years ago.  I still use it today, and even though it is getting worn out through 2 years of use, it is still in great condition.  The benefit of duct tape is that it is very easy to replace elements that are attached to the base of the case, contributing to the longevity of the case, as when something breaks, I can immediately fix it.

The pencil case is the inspiration for my other organization cases, such as the crochet hook case.  It is made of one big sheet of duct tape folded into fourths, with several features added throughout.

Front: Print duct tape makes the cover more interesting
Inside the pencil case, I included a place for my pens and marker, which are lined horizontally on the left side.  By organizing it this way, I can fit more pens on one side, and it is easier to quickly remove a pen even when the case is closed.  On the other side, I hold any notecards or hallway passes that I need with me anywhere I go.

Inside: One side to hold my pens, the other side a pocket
I do not normally use pens when writing anything down, but because I carry more pens than pencils, I decided to devote this area of my case to holding pens.  I would place my pencils here, but they do not fit nicely into the slots because the ends of the pencils would stick out.  The clips on pens and pencils are at differing heights.

Only pens are located in this area
I needed someplace to put all my notes and various small sheets of paper, so the other side of the case has a big orange pocket.  I made it in the same fashion I made the base of the case, but at a smaller scale.  The size is perfect to hold index cards, small reminders, and even money.

Big orange pocket holds everything
Not everything that I wanted to have in my case would fit on the inside of the case, so I utilized the big pocket made from folding the base into fourths.  Inside, I hold my pencils, eraser, and scissors.  On the left side, I created three slots to place my two pencils and the one pen that did not fit nicely with the other pens.  By placing the items in this manner, the case is also flat, with no bumps sticking out where two pencils or pens overlap.

In the pocket: pencils, eraser, and scissors
Another advantage of having a duct tape pencil case is that I can personalize it any way I want.  While I chose to have a black base, I have made a case with my friend out of the blue and purple tie-dye duct tape.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!