Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Nantucket "Rope" Bracelet 2.0

About a week ago, I made a Nantucket "rope" bracelet with duct tape yarn, and the bracelet turned out a little uneven.  To improve the bracelet, I decided to use flat strips of duct tape in place of already pre-made yarn this time I made it.

Like before, two strips of each color are needed
Using flat stripes is harder to make a tight, even bracelet than using the round duct tape yarn.  To help, I  first folded each strip in half and then started to make a four-string bracelet.

Fold all strips in half and then tape it to the table
I made and unmade the bracelet many times to soften the duct tape and make it easier to tighten each stitch.

Mid-way through the bracelet
I finished the bracelet the same way I did with the first Nantucket "rope" bracelet and used the tape holding it down to join the two ends together.

The finished bracelet, even without comparing it to the older version, looks more even, thinner, and tighter.  I like it better already!

Nantucket "rope" bracelet 2.0
Comparing the two bracelets, the first version looks poorly made, uneven, and not as elegant as version 2.0.  The second one looks smoother, more even in terms of tightness, string width, and stitch size.

Left: new; right: original 
I would recommend making the Nantucket "rope" bracelet the second way if one is willing to spend a lot of time making it.  I made and unmade the bracelet several times to break in the duct tape.  The duct tape yarn used in the first bracelet is already broken due to the way it was made.  However, as always, the more time you put into something, the better it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment!